Search Google

Custom Search

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Unknown Device Identifier

Went to my wife's hometown last week to spend the new year at their house. They had an old AMD-K6 being used by my brother-in-law. The set-up was so slow as it was sporting a Windows ME OS and it had a difficult time loading the OS. Took nearly 30 mins to load the desktop. So I volunteered my services to re-format and downgrade the OS to Win98.

Created a boot diskette and started formatting. I was able to install the Win98 SE completely until I found out that my brother-in-law doesn't have the supporting drivers for the cards. It was a big problem as I was responsible for formatting the PC. I should have checked first if the drivers were available. So off I went scouring for a computer shop that could help me. Fortunately, I was able to find one.

The technician used a software called Unknown Device Identifier. It was able to identify the computer parts model numbers and vendors. And with the help of the internet, the technician was able to download the proper drivers for the PC setup. It was a close call for me, I thought I will be spending thousands of pesos to replace all the cards. =p

Here is the site where you can download the software Unknown Device Identifier, its a freeware!



Once you have identified your device, here is one of the sites where you can download the drivers http://www.driverguide.com/

No comments: